Thursday, August 31, 2006

Taking off.

Getting ideas of the ground and into functional units of gainful productivity is a rather tedious process, littered with disappointment, learning curves, unlearning curves, courage and sugar coated with luck. Or none at all.

I understand that the inventor of the Bic pen had a journey of sorts before finally getting his pen into production. He was turned down at every turn, because since pens were elegant creations, creating disposable ones was like creating disposable Kruger-Rands (any takers...?). Somebody gave him a break - Parker tried to break his spirit - but I'm not sure who it was. The point is it took years to get his genius into the hands of stock takers, secretaries, MD's, children, waiters, petrol attendants, astronaughts (though it failed in space because it relies kinda heavily on gravity to function - hoorah to the Russians who decided to use pencils, rather than spend millions on researching new writing utensils like the Americans did), lawyers (imagine the amounts of money that was signed away by a Bic), you and alas, me.

That brings me to my own journey. Every now and again I get plagued by new ideas for my business. You know what I found to be the most difficult capital to invest into a new venture, even if it is only an extension of current operations? Time.

When you find extra time, send me some. I've got lots of ideas that needs to be brought to life.

No comments: