Sunday, March 09, 2008

Wiel - Hummer 3 - Hennie Bosman



When I was asked to shoot Shihan Hennie Bosman (highest qualified karateka outside of Japan in Kyokushin Karate, 8th Dan) and the Hummer 3 for a short feature, with no brief, except a location, I knew it was going to be interesting. I was basically told to do something action-orientated (Hennie has done stunt-work with the likes of Wesley Snipes and JC van Damme), and just go to x location and get back with pics ASAP.

With no budget for Propak 7IIB's, and the shoot being set-up for midday, I turned to my trusty polariser to get the mood and went ahead to just play with a very willing Hennie. Brett Hamilton, who wrote the feature, tagged along to hold a reflector, and to represent the mag and make sure I don't totally go wild. (He is a really able reflector holder and has earned the title of Le Gaffer )

After making Hennie do kicks from the bonnet of the car, jumping on the roof, awarding it a black-belt (I know...), screaming, making faces, driving the car through mud and having a fab old time, we got the shots, but also some very handy self-defence tips from Hennie in the process. Pictured is Hennie using Brett as a dummy to teach me something. Understand, Brett is 5'10", probably about 75kg, Hennie is 6'5", 120kg of muscle and 42 years of karate training. Brett's panic was real I think!

Hennie is also consulting to a Super 14 rugby team on tackle-breaking tecniques..., but I won't say who. Anyways, some pics.

3 comments:

MIAMI said...

HEY, GREAT TO SEE HENNIE WITH THAT HUM3. HENNIE IS A GREAT GUY AND I WISH HIM TO REACH HOLLYWOOD THIS YEAR . BUT CAPE TOWN IS THE BEST HENNIE, COME BACK TO US.

Danie said...

Yup, it would be great to see his face on some big productions. He's certainly a nice enough guy!

Danie said...

And I would be able to say I shot him! Hahaha.