Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Assistant Position

It's that time again. Jeremy will very sadly be leaving Danie Nel Photography to endeavour into the fields of art in which he trained. He will be sadly missed, but that is how things go. We have had a load of fun, done some exciting work together and I'm glad I'll be seeing him regularly at church and also in the industry.

Now, the problem is that with such a cool assistant leaving he has left a gap that needs to be filled, but finding somebody to match his skills and enthusiasm will be hard... So who is up to the task?

I "re-publish" my initial ad that I placed upon which I appointed Jeremy. Position is available from 1 April.

Here goes the ad:

I'm employing an assistant/digital asset manager. That's geekspeak for someone who'll need to manage my digital workflow (Adobe CS3 - you'll be getting to know RAW 4.3 really well), image archive and stock image collection, take some of the deliveries of my hands, help on shoots (you must be able to carry gear, I'm sorry, so if you're not willing to lugg... not the job for you), be nice enough to make me a cuppa as well when you're making one for yourself and generally need to be agreeable, easy to get along with, motivated, and in it to help build my company. Basically, an all-round studio assistant.

Requirements: A driver's license, Adobe Photoshop CS2-3 experience/training, basic PC skills and professional work ethic essential. A small portfolio of Photoshop retouching work will score you some points, and so will some knowledge of video post production (for future reference). Your own transport to and from work essential. Deliveries will be via company vehicle. The pay will be for a junior person, so Thomas Knoll, Steve Jobbs, Bill Gates and Annie Leibowitz probably need not apply. The Attitudious, arrogant, selfishly ambitious and disloyal need not apply (oh and those who expect to listen to Justin Timberlake on the studio CD-player). Go find a ladder somewhere else to climb and manipulate.

So what can I offer except a dry sense of humour, a black studio working environment and free coffee and tea (rooibos, chai, ceylon)? You'll learn more than at school. I got the diploma and everything, so trust me. An easy-going boss. Your own personal email account (!!!!). An exciting work environment, where you'll meet lotsa cool people, rub shoulders with others in the industry, free advice and if you play your cards right, your own coffee cup. You'll be working with images, people and things in the automotive, PR, food, interiors, advertising, publishing, music and wedding industries. The pay isn't much, but I want you to be able to eat. That'll be negotiated with final candidates.

Please submit your CV's via email to danie@danienel.co.za or fax at 0866542641. Final candidates will be communicated to. If you want to assist other photographers on a freelance basis (and not apply for this position), feel free to drop your details and expertise in the comment box here so other photographers can get your details.

No comments: