Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Cellphone Camera.. is upon us

See this interesting blog post: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2009/05/iphone-art-graces-cover-of-new-yorker.html from photographer, Chase Jarvis, who is a huge iphone camera fan. Interesting for a guy who spends his days shooting with R350 000 Hasselblad HD39 and R100 000 Nikon D3x cameras, and on occasion R500000 RED cameras and R100000 i-frame movie cameras. Well, my gear isn't cheap either, and I must say, I'm really getting into my Samsung i600's 1 mp camera! It has no real photo applications like the Apple iPhone, but just the simple rough and ready look of the images are inspiring enough.

The cell-camera forces you to look at things differently, and as a commercial photographer, whose job it is by the very nature of commerce to please others, this allows me to capture the world like I see it. No commercial intent (because as commercial artists it's very hard to get away from this), no care, no worries about focus, resolution, output, color space or anything but feeling good about doing it. And no resizing.

It's not unlike shooting a SLR fitted with a Lensbaby, or shooting Polaroids, or those dreaded Lomos. It's cheap, it disposable, but special, it's portable and shareable. It's mine and I'm strangely proud of it.

Here are some of my recent cell moments. The challenge for you? Go ahead. Point your cell phone at something and make it last. Your efforts will undoubtedly be as good if not better. But that's the hell of it. No one is comparing!

No comments: