Skip to main content

The Good Food and Wine Show - Cape Town

I was the official photographer for the Good Food and Wine Show in Cape Town this year, and what an experience it was! 4 days of festival with all the preliminaries leading up to this day, including a shoot with Marcos Giorgio, executive chef for Jamie's Italian (yup, all Jamie Oiver's restaurants - and he's a boy that hails from Plumstead), and likely one of the coolest human beings you'll meet in a long time. Also, as the photographer, I had VIP access to all the arenas, cook-offs, demos and behind-the-scenes access you could wish for! I saw 3 or 4 of Ainsley Harriot's classes, a couple of Marcos's, Brian Turner's, Giancarlo and his wife Katy Caldese etc etc. I tasted, tried and shot loads. I also bumped into lots of faces from the Rooibos Cookbook project...

but the best way to describe our experience there is just to post pics and to discuss what happens! A shout out to the awesome PR staff of GourmetSA, and all the cool people I met there.

 

 

Some technical high/low-lights:

I broke my 5D on Friday, just after a Brian Turner cook-off. See pic of realization lower down. I am waiting for a quote, but guestimate is R10 000 upwards for repairs. This put me in the desperate position to get a new camera, while Philip held the fort with a back-up. Thanks for the awesome guys at ORMS and Standard Bank who gave me the ok for 5D Mk ii in 15 minutes, so I could be roaring to go soon after. Will receive news RE my 5D today. That'll be my full-frame back-up then. As with all dark clouds the silver lining was indeed very silver, in this case me being forced to upgrade to a Canon 5D Mark II.

Selecting, converting, retouching and correcting 1500 images followed this week. That and press deadlines, emailing them out etc etc. Bit by bit it's getting there. Oh, and we've been shooting all week as well. Oh, and having to upgrade everything to facilitate the enormous RAW files of the new 5D Mk II... So... apart from the camera, I had to get a fast 16GB 30MB/s memory card, Photoshop Cs4 and hundred of megs of updates, but I'm not complaining. In a back-handed sort of way - I'm being SMUG!

Comments

Danie Nel said…
Repairs only about R7000 for the 5D...... ONLY.... ????

Popular posts from this blog

Dangerous Photography Jobs

http://www.onlinecertificateprograms.org/blog/2010/10-dangerous-photography-jobs/This is taken from the above article, with permission:Photography can be a case of life or death. It may sound absurd, but professional photographers often go to great lengths and compromise their safety in order to get the perfect picture. Whether it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to photograph Mount Everest or a mission to cover the Iraq war, many photographers risk their lives just to do their job. Here are 10 dangerous photography jobs: Extreme Weather Photography
Extreme weather photographers aren’t storm chasers, but they do have an eye for photographing hurricanes, tornados, thunderstorms and other severe weather in their most vulnerable state. As you can imagine, this job is nothing short of extreme. Extreme weather photographers have to get close to the storm when everyone else is running from it, which puts them at risk for injuries and often death. BASE Jumping & Skydiving Photography
See…

Portrait Shoot: Pierre van Heerden

So a number of years back I did a shoot of Pierre van Heerden, South African actor, musical performer, playwright and comedian, at my old studio. It was just for fun, really. I was exploring some portraiture ideas, for a project I was considering at the time. We had a great time shooting these, exploring some cool ideas as we spent the morning talking rubbish, laughing and drinking coffee.

Fast forward some years later, and he contacted me to do an update of the images, but this time for his book.

The images were meant for publicity purposes, his marketing material and such, but what I want to share here is just some of the expression shots we did once we had those in the bag. Working with an actor in stills is great, as they know their face, they know expressions and have a large selection of facial "skills" to employ for a portrait.

I would simply call out a bunch of emotions/expressions and he would comply each time.



The "30 second portrait" I made is an idea…

Wiel - Hummer 3 - Hennie Bosman

When I was asked to shoot Shihan Hennie Bosman (highest qualified karateka outside of Japan in Kyokushin Karate, 8th Dan) and the Hummer 3 for a short feature, with no brief, except a location, I knew it was going to be interesting. I was basically told to do something action-orientated (Hennie has done stunt-work with the likes of Wesley Snipes and JC van Damme), and just go to x location and get back with pics ASAP.

With no budget for Propak 7IIB's, and the shoot being set-up for midday, I turned to my trusty polariser to get the mood and went ahead to just play with a very willing Hennie. Brett Hamilton, who wrote the feature, tagged along to hold a reflector, and to represent the mag and make sure I don't totally go wild. (He is a really able reflector holder and has earned the title of Le Gaffer)

After making Hennie do kicks from the bonnet of the car, jumping on the roof, awarding it a black-belt (I know...), screaming, making faces, driving the car through mud and having …