Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bad News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8676758.stm

I just received terrible news from friends and clients, that Afriqiyah Airlines (the one that took me to Libya and who I did the work for) has had a crash in Tripoli. It flew from JHB last night and ended up crashing on the runway in Tripoli this morning, killing all aboard, although there is a rumour of a child surviving.

I must say, before people start going haywire about local and African Airlines that I had no reason on my trip to suspect lower than expected standards and procedures. I haven’t confirmed whether anybody from their agency here was on board, but I’ll know in due time.

Wow, I dearly hope this does not make people avoid Libya…, I found it to be a fab place, and a decent airline. My condolences to all who is affected and lost someone.

You know what the biggest (strangest) thing is: I decided to wear my Afriqiyah Airlines T-shirt and cap today…, long before I found out about the accident.

Herewith some pics from my flight home from Tripoli:

20091106Libya1385 Tripoli from my window seat.

20091106Libya1375 Me in the Afriqiyah Airline plane.

 20091106Libya1377Fellow passengers.

 20091106Libya1371Me at the Tripoli Airport.

20091103Libya0007 Kosie and Charmaine (rep for Aviareps/Afriqiyah Airlines) at JHB International prior to our departure.




No comments: