Skip to main content

Shooting film for fun – Yashica LM 6x6

000002I’ve been quite busy, and with the barrage of holidays thrown at us, it makes it difficult for a self-employed individual to get to posting blogs on top of getting around to all other things entailed in being a pro shooter. Well, I must be honest, I’ll rather wait for next week and the reality of 5 day weeks to kick in again, before I post something that seems too much like work to you guys. So, I’ll go ahead and post some of the things I do for kicks.

I trained and fell in love with photography long before digital hit. I’m a qualified colour hand printer, black and white printer, large format, medium format etcetera shooter. I still find myself doing +1/3 compensations on readings for the Kodak 100VS tranny film I was so fond of. But truth be told, I don’t miss film as a work medium. I think digital is and will be the only viable medium for work. Also, 11 years after working in a darkroom, I still have issues with damaged skin on my hands due to (negligent) use of argentothyosulphite developers. The digital/film debate was settled in my mind around 2004, I think. I’m not getting into that though, it’s about as exciting as the Canon/Nikon debate to me anyways. Which is just below clipping my toenails.

I have 3 film cameras that I play with. This means: no light-meter, expired, like really ancient film, cheap pharmacy film, Holga-isque shooting techniques, having fun. There’s a saying: film’s not dead it just smells funny. I have a Yashica LM TLR (Bought circa 1998), a Pentax K1000 (my first slr, bought when I was 16) and a Canon AE-1, bought last year for a song.

Today, I’ll be posting images I shot with my Yashica LM TLR camera. It was manufactured between 1958-1962, so it’s kinda, ok, very old. The ‘LM’ stands for ‘light-meter’, which is ironic, as I purposefully don’t use it, and I’m certain it’s broken anyways. Its lens is not sharp anymore, and a bit battered, but I love the box-feel, and I love the rustic, retro vibe of walking around with it, freaking ipod-kids out and then the 6x6 format.

000007

The film: Ilford XP1, expired circa 1993 (seriously), obtained from my old lecturer. About 12 rolls. I still have a couple left. Ilford XP1 was discontinued in 1991 and replaced by XP2. When I started studying in 1997 XP2 was the standard for C41 black and white (chromogenic) films. Which is also useful for me now, as I’m not keen on having to dig out my Patterson tanks and buy Ilford ID-11. 000008

Shooting these images has a lot to do with charm, and the knowledge that I have no, absolutely no, commercial value to these images. It’s out of the box, in the box, through the box, whatever I want, reckless, fun, for me, for kicks… and I love the suspense of processing a bunch of films that I’ve spent 3 months haphazardly filling up. It’s not fun getting to pay it afters. Jeez, I’m glad that part of my life is sort of over! I really love a lot of these images, because I was there and it makes sense to me. Sorry, but I have to allow myself some indulgence.

Since I spend a lot of my free time with my kids, it stands to reason that they’d show up on some of these images. Bear with me.

000012

000009

000006

000001

000011 

 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dangerous Photography Jobs

http://www.onlinecertificateprograms.org/blog/2010/10-dangerous-photography-jobs/This is taken from the above article, with permission:Photography can be a case of life or death. It may sound absurd, but professional photographers often go to great lengths and compromise their safety in order to get the perfect picture. Whether it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to photograph Mount Everest or a mission to cover the Iraq war, many photographers risk their lives just to do their job. Here are 10 dangerous photography jobs: Extreme Weather Photography
Extreme weather photographers aren’t storm chasers, but they do have an eye for photographing hurricanes, tornados, thunderstorms and other severe weather in their most vulnerable state. As you can imagine, this job is nothing short of extreme. Extreme weather photographers have to get close to the storm when everyone else is running from it, which puts them at risk for injuries and often death. BASE Jumping & Skydiving Photography
See…

Portrait Shoot: Pierre van Heerden

So a number of years back I did a shoot of Pierre van Heerden, South African actor, musical performer, playwright and comedian, at my old studio. It was just for fun, really. I was exploring some portraiture ideas, for a project I was considering at the time. We had a great time shooting these, exploring some cool ideas as we spent the morning talking rubbish, laughing and drinking coffee.

Fast forward some years later, and he contacted me to do an update of the images, but this time for his book.

The images were meant for publicity purposes, his marketing material and such, but what I want to share here is just some of the expression shots we did once we had those in the bag. Working with an actor in stills is great, as they know their face, they know expressions and have a large selection of facial "skills" to employ for a portrait.

I would simply call out a bunch of emotions/expressions and he would comply each time.



The "30 second portrait" I made is an idea…

Wiel - Hummer 3 - Hennie Bosman

When I was asked to shoot Shihan Hennie Bosman (highest qualified karateka outside of Japan in Kyokushin Karate, 8th Dan) and the Hummer 3 for a short feature, with no brief, except a location, I knew it was going to be interesting. I was basically told to do something action-orientated (Hennie has done stunt-work with the likes of Wesley Snipes and JC van Damme), and just go to x location and get back with pics ASAP.

With no budget for Propak 7IIB's, and the shoot being set-up for midday, I turned to my trusty polariser to get the mood and went ahead to just play with a very willing Hennie. Brett Hamilton, who wrote the feature, tagged along to hold a reflector, and to represent the mag and make sure I don't totally go wild. (He is a really able reflector holder and has earned the title of Le Gaffer)

After making Hennie do kicks from the bonnet of the car, jumping on the roof, awarding it a black-belt (I know...), screaming, making faces, driving the car through mud and having …