Monday, October 10, 2011

Shooting some Rice


(C) Danie Nel Photography cc


A while ago I had the great opportunity to shoot with Jenny Morris again, but not on her book, as I've been doing for a good part of the winter. This time around we were shooting for Spekko Rice, with Susan Bosman picking up styling duties, and Jenny designing the recipes.

We had 3 days in her studio, and as always it was a fun affair at the "Cook's Playground".

If you thought rice was not an interesting food to shoot, or that there is not a lot you can do with it, think again. I've never had so many different types of rice dishes, ever, and I'm still quite amazed how a little grain plant from obscure paddies in Asia can be used in such culinary masterpieces.

It's also important when shooting food, and especially over three days, that you mix up the light set-up, in order to avoid it looking the same in every shot, but also to keep it similar enough for the thread of consistency to go through all the images.  



I can't let too much out of the bag in terms of shooting the images or what happened behind the scenes. However, I can share some of the results with you! Enjoy, get hungry, and trust me, it tastes as good as it look.

Sorry to do this, but as I've been ripped off I have to put this disclaimer here:

All images on this blog belongs to Danie Nel Photography cc and the commissioning client in its entirety, and any unauthorised copying or usage of these images are strictly prohibited, whether in use for blogs, websites, print or any manner of distribution, except in this blog.

Now with the unpleasantries out of the way, eat your monitor.

Jenny Morris a.k.a. The Giggling Gourmet




























































The Team (ex Jenny - she had to go and do a radio show when we took this pic). In broad terms it's our culinary assistants for the day, the PR representative for Pioneer Foods and the advertising agency's art director, and me on the right. Second to left is Susan Bosman. For sake of privacy I'll not name the others.

Remember my food photography portfolio is viewable at my website.

No comments: