Skip to main content

Cell Phone Images

I think the times of denying the impact of cell-phone images have passed long ago. Chase Jarvis have already published a book with images taken with his iPhone almost 2 years ago. "The Best Camera Is The One You Have With You" might very well be the first of its kind.
Well, about the rapid quality improvements in phone-cameras I'm not going to go into as it's obvious. Camera apps are also improving the user experience with Instagr.am leading the pack, with its vintage effects in square formats, initially only available for iPhones and iPads, but now extended to the enormous Android platform. I also enjoy using My Little Camera for Anroid.

I've found my phone camera to be a useful location recce tool, BTS camera on shoots for blogging etc, insurance documentation at a recent car accident I had, capturing times with my family and scanning documents using the CamScanner app. In fact, I supplied all the supporting documentation for my recent vehicle finance application from my phone. And for the record, I'm writing this post from my phone on the Blogger app.

What is my point? Just this: shooting phone images are relevant, creative and fun. And it's important. Visually it might become the most important record of life we have yet developed.

Herewith some images I've taken with my Samsung Galaxy NT-7000 Note 8mp camera. And it's sooo much fun.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dangerous Photography Jobs

http://www.onlinecertificateprograms.org/blog/2010/10-dangerous-photography-jobs/This is taken from the above article, with permission:Photography can be a case of life or death. It may sound absurd, but professional photographers often go to great lengths and compromise their safety in order to get the perfect picture. Whether it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to photograph Mount Everest or a mission to cover the Iraq war, many photographers risk their lives just to do their job. Here are 10 dangerous photography jobs: Extreme Weather Photography
Extreme weather photographers aren’t storm chasers, but they do have an eye for photographing hurricanes, tornados, thunderstorms and other severe weather in their most vulnerable state. As you can imagine, this job is nothing short of extreme. Extreme weather photographers have to get close to the storm when everyone else is running from it, which puts them at risk for injuries and often death. BASE Jumping & Skydiving Photography
See…

Wiel - Hummer 3 - Hennie Bosman

When I was asked to shoot Shihan Hennie Bosman (highest qualified karateka outside of Japan in Kyokushin Karate, 8th Dan) and the Hummer 3 for a short feature, with no brief, except a location, I knew it was going to be interesting. I was basically told to do something action-orientated (Hennie has done stunt-work with the likes of Wesley Snipes and JC van Damme), and just go to x location and get back with pics ASAP.

With no budget for Propak 7IIB's, and the shoot being set-up for midday, I turned to my trusty polariser to get the mood and went ahead to just play with a very willing Hennie. Brett Hamilton, who wrote the feature, tagged along to hold a reflector, and to represent the mag and make sure I don't totally go wild. (He is a really able reflector holder and has earned the title of Le Gaffer)

After making Hennie do kicks from the bonnet of the car, jumping on the roof, awarding it a black-belt (I know...), screaming, making faces, driving the car through mud and having …

Portrait Shoot: Pierre van Heerden

So a number of years back I did a shoot of Pierre van Heerden, South African actor, musical performer, playwright and comedian, at my old studio. It was just for fun, really. I was exploring some portraiture ideas, for a project I was considering at the time. We had a great time shooting these, exploring some cool ideas as we spent the morning talking rubbish, laughing and drinking coffee.

Fast forward some years later, and he contacted me to do an update of the images, but this time for his book.

The images were meant for publicity purposes, his marketing material and such, but what I want to share here is just some of the expression shots we did once we had those in the bag. Working with an actor in stills is great, as they know their face, they know expressions and have a large selection of facial "skills" to employ for a portrait.

I would simply call out a bunch of emotions/expressions and he would comply each time.



The "30 second portrait" I made is an idea…