Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Danie Nel VIDEO: Crashtackle–Hammerfall

I have mentioned before that I’m a musician in my free time, making and recording music, and distributing it for free/pay-what-you-want digitally. Just for kicks. Anyways, so my musical portfolio has grown to also encompass another entity, or side-project as musicians call it, called “Crashtackle”. This is basically my heavier, more experimental music. You can connect with my Crashtackle music at www.facebook.com/crashtackle or the links below, or read about my musical adventures in general, at http://vortexafternoon.blogspot.com .

So, finally I got another Crashtackle tune out. Actually, just my second. This time it’s “Hammerfall”, and the first time I’m singing as well in Crashtackle. I tried all sorts of styles, but I realised, alas, I’m not a screamer, growler or even high-angst belter, I am what I am, so I decided to just go with that. Also, I realised that it might be a good idea to get a video out for Crashtackle.  I have done two music videos before for my Danie Nel music. Below is the last one… varying degrees of success… and before that a monster project of note with illustrating the video in Photoshop, on a touch-pad mouse! Again, none of these were really planned with any form of output in mind, but sort-of slapped together, off-the-cuff…. I suppose not too different from the one I just did for Crashtackle.

Danie Nel–Hosea Said
Danie Nel–Kinders vang die Son

Recording the video was very funny, doing everything myself, playing, directing, shooting, etc. You do, or at least I, felt a bit like a mental case, running around, running two cameras, checking focus on a mic-stand the was my stand-in,  switching on the guide-track music, running to the spot and then “performing” my heart out on unplugged instruments.

The concept of the clips of Scriptures come from the passages that inspired some of the lyrics. These I shot after all the performance bits the next day. The other add-ins, non-performance clips, if you will, was literally just stock clips I had shot previously, time-lapses and the like and just threw it in. No thought behind those! It just supported the atmosphere I was going for, so I thought what the heck. Non-narrative videos work for Anton Corbijn, so why can’t I?

Anyways, if I had budget, help and whatnot, imagine what one can come up with for another music video…

You can stream this tune, and the first release, “Jeremiah’s Complaint”, download or share it here:

No comments: